Honest Holiday Haiku Contest 2023
The holidays are a time of glad tidings and good cheer and, if we're honest, some not-so-glad tidings as well. In the spirit of Scrooge, Santa, and everything in between, we invite you to write your most honest holiday haiku. Use this space to vent about the itchy socks your great aunt insists on gifting you each year or wax poetic about a Valentine's Day mishap.
A reminder: a haiku consists of five syllables in the first line, seven syllables in the second line, and five in the third line.
The writer of the most honest holiday haiku will receive a Gotham class of their choosing.
As adult siblings
Air secret past transgressions
Ann’s still Mom’s fav’rite.
Lent of blustery regret
No one likes green beer
Silver and glitter,
then crash!– a rogue drink spills fast.
Perfect dress… wet. Cold.
Pretending that a
Present is sensational
By smiling too wide.
Deadline: Thursday, February 29, 2024, 11:59 pm Eastern Time
- Submit an honest holiday haiku
- Entries must adhere to the haiku form
- Entries must be submitted online by 11:59 pm Eastern Time, Thursday, February 29, 2024
- Only online entries will be accepted.
- Entry is free. Limit one entry per person.
- Entry must be original and unpublished.
- Entries will be judged on originality, quality, spelling, and grammar.
- Gotham will post the winning entry at GothamWriters.com
- The winner will be notified by March 18, 2024.
- Winner receives a free Gotham class of their choosing, excluding any premium classes (Zoetrope Fiction, Business Writing, Level III)