Great Gift Contest
The getting and giving of gifts opens all sorts of emotions. The stress of finding something suitable with the clock ticking away. The joy of receiving something you genuinely love, as opposed to the frozen smile you use to pretend you love the gift. Best of all, perhaps, is seeing a face light up (for real) at the sight of a gift you’ve bestowed.
We invite you to write about a gift. Either a great gift you’ve gotten or that you’ve given. If you like, you can even write about a gift you wish for (which you might even show to the people in your life). And if you want to write about some other kind of gift, or even make something up, we won’t be a grinch about it.
Whoever presents us with our favorite gift story will receive a free Gotham class of their choosing (with the exception of a few premium classes). Keep it to no more than 25 words.
As inspiration, here are some sample entries:
Six months after my bar mitzvah, opening the newspaper wrapping, I found a world of fog and fascination in The Complete Sherlock Holmes.
The brooch I give her matches her aura colors (according to a psychic in Chinatown). He said she’s an emotional artist: she’s green and blue.
It wasn’t the sweater that I loved; it was the careful way you wrapped the comics around it, just so, no speech bubble interrupted.
Deadline: February 28, 2023, 11:59 pm Eastern Time
- Entry must consist of no more than 25 words. Longer entries will be disregarded.
- Entries must be submitted online by 11:59 pm Eastern Time, February 28, 2023.
- Only online entries will be accepted.
- Entry is free. Limit one entry per person.
- Entry must be original and unpublished.
- Entries will be judged on originality, quality, spelling, and grammar.
- Gotham will post the winning entry at GothamWriters.com
- The winner will be notified by March 24, 2023.